10/23/08

Product Review and Helen Mae Slept Through the Night!


OK so first of all- Helen Mae Rogers, born 8 months ago, slept through the entire night last night- from 8:30 to 6:45. It was the most exciting thing that has happened to me or her since this:
but seriously- my dear baby made it extremely clear from the day of her arrival (and what an arrival it was- 34 hours of unmedicated labor followed by a c-section!) that she did not plan on sleeping by herself in the beautiful brand new bassinet that my dear husband assembled months before her birth. Yes, she slept in our bed, between us for 8 months. Sure it was wonderful to be able to cuddle up with the sweet little snugglebug and feed her 6 + times a night- but the day had come for her to move to her beautiful crib in her own room. So I read up on the Ferber Method and decided that neither she nor I were getting more than 35 minutes of sleep at a time and both of us were becoming more and more sleep deprived. So I nursed her, read her a story, sang 3 lullabies, and placed her in her crib. As I had anticipated, she cried her head off and I tried not to cry my head off as I waited the prescribed two minutes before going in and reassuring her that she was safe and I was nearby. I continued to go in and comfort her first after 1 minute, then 2, then 3, and by 15 minutes (which seemed like a lifetime of torture for me) she fell asleep. She woke 4 times during the night but quickly went back to sleep. On the second night she cried for 30 seconds and slept through the entire night- no joke! I was stunned! I woke up about 4 times out of habit- but she slept, well... like a baby! Anyway, God bless you Dr. Ferber!!! I am like a new woman!
So now for the product review... sorry- not a lot of exciting stuff happens in my life so I get a little carried away when I get to do things like sleep! Williams Sonoma- my favorite cooking store (which I can almost never afford to shop at) has these little leaf pie cutters- for Fall pies. Umm...adorable! They work really well because they cut the shape out of the dough and then you stamp the little button down and it cuts the little indentations into the leaves which bake up beautifully. I used the leaves on this little raspberry jam tartlette which I made with a store bought pie crust- this is honestly my very first experience with store bought roll-out pie crust (my mother is a firm believer in baking from scratch) and it was OK but I can really taste the difference. Anyway, I loved the little piecutters- I will use them on a big homemade crust apple pie sometime soon! Oh and p.s. how cute is this?

8 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I can't imagine the exhaustion you new moms go through that first year...So, I am very happy that your baby slept through the night - here's to many more!

I have leaf cutters, too, and really love them. I need to use them more often, however!

Anonymous said...

i'm happy you finally got some sleep last night! i don't know what i'd do if i had someone wake me up all the time. i guess that's why i'm not a mother haha

i love these little cutouts you bought! there's no william sonomas around where i live. i usually go to sur la table which is probably just as expensive.

Prudy said...

I loved your post today! I've been through it with my babies too and it's always a shock that they really stop waking up. Congrats on making it through it. The first night is torture! Your pie looks so beautiful, but that family photo is stealing the show. What a cute and happy pic!

Rosie said...

Yes.... little Helen Mae is sleeping through the night awww bless her what a little treasure she is! I remember this feeling so well having slept through a whole night the first time when my daughter was a baby.

I adore those leaf cutters!!

Rosie x

Yasmeen said...

Baby sleeping through the night is indeed a milestone,both my boys took almost a year.
Those tartlette looks very festive with jam and leave cutouts,YUM!

Wandering Coyote said...

I have an award waiting for you over at ReTorte.

Emily said...

Cute! Love the pie.

I'm glad Helen Mae slept though the night! That's great.
I can't believe how long you were in labor...

Cristine said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your blog is great... looking forward to reading it regularly!

My little one (5 months) still doesn't sleep through the night. My first was an awesome sleeper and slept through the night at 6 weeks. My son is torturing me! :) I may have to try Ferber.....