12/1/09

TWD: Rosy Poached Pear and Pistachio Tart


This is going to be short and sweet. I made this lovely tart for Thanksgiving because I thought it would be an interesting addition to the old standbys: apple, pumpkin, pecan, cranberry etc. All in all we ended up with EIGHT kinds of pie...seriously. At least we had about 30 people to eat it all up and there were tons of leftovers for breakfast on Friday morning.

This pie consists of a basic tart shell, pistachio pastry cream, pears poached in red wine with orange and lemon peel, and caramelized pistachios. The tart was very tasty, but I'm not completely sure that I'd make it again because it did end up being pretty labor intensive. I've never poached pears before and I have to say they turned out fantastically! I will definitely be experimenting more with different pear poaching recipes. I also really loved the caramelized pistachios- I could have eaten those by the handful. The pistachio pastry cream was good, but not great. Now part of this is probably because I could not find unsalted pistachios anywhere so I shelled some salted ones and rinsed and dried them. I opted for leaving the ground nuts in the cream and ended up thinning it out with about a 1/2 cup of freshly whipped cream. Honestly, I just don't love pastry cream. I made the wine reduction syrup to top the tart and promptly forgot it in the refrigerator- I'm sure it would have been a wonderful compliment! oops!


The tart is beautiful with the white and red pears and the green nuts and it was well received by my family so I am glad that I went ahead and made it. This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe was chosen by Lauren of I'll Eat You (recipe is on her blog and in Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours).

3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

This is totally gorgeous - as is the cute baby!

Free Samples said...

Looks awesome!! Good work

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!