9/14/10

TWD: Cranberry Upside-Downer

Today is my darling husband's 26th birthday! Happy Birthday Derrick! So, being the loving wife that I am I spent a good part of the day baking him a giant cheesecake...and then I kind of forgot about the Cranberry Upside-Downer... until about 5 o'clock. But I had to bake this cake! I have been eying the gorgeous photo since I purchased Dorie Greenspan's amazing book and joined Tuesdays with Dorie so I wasn't about to pass it up when Sabrina of Superfluous finally selected it for this week's recipe!


It's a little early for fresh cranberries but I was lucky enough to get my hands on some frozen ones from Whole Foods and they worked perfectly in this Fall take on the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The cake looks impressive because of the beautiful shiny, ruby-red crown but it's very simple to put together. Butter and sugar are cooked together in a saucepan on the stove and then poured into the cake pan, the cranberries and pecans then go directly on top of the butter mixture and the whole thing is topped with a cinnamony cake batter. The cake bakes into the little nooks and crannies in between the cranberries and nuts and the sugar caramelizes around the fruit making a truly outstanding Fall cake! I'm so glad to have this delicious cake to add to my list of favorite cranberry recipes, I will be making it throughout the cranberry season!
It was hard to keep the little hands away from the cake until it was cool enough to eat- I can promise you they will be begging for a piece for breakfast tomorrow too!

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

holy moly would you look at that cranberry studded piece of artwork! those little hands look about ready to dive in ;)

Beth said...

That cake looks just gorgeous. Hope the little hands enjoyed the cake when they finally got to eat it!