9/28/10

TWD: Tarte Fine


I really, really want to make my own puff pastry. However, it's one of the many things on my baking/cooking to do list that I have to put on hold for awhile- at least until everyone's on the same nap schedule. So when I looked at the recipe for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick I immediately felt a little torn. Don't get me wrong, Dorie actually recommends using store-bought puff pastry...but she is extremely specific about using all butter puff pastry AKA not Pepperidge Farm puff pastry and that is the only brand that I could find in three grocery stores. Although I felt kind of defeated, I went ahead and bought the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry and of course, it was completely fine! I will go back one day and do this with homemade puff pastry and I'm sure it will be amazing but it was fine with store-bought, non-all butter crust.


This is an extremely easy tart to throw together (especially with the store bought puff pastry). I decided to make my tart long and skinny so it would be easier to slice into pieces. Dorie gives alternative instructions for making a sweeter tart and once I sliced up my beautiful Mcintosh apples and tasted how very tart they were I realized that I would have to go that route. The dough is dotted with a bit of butter and sprinkled with sugar and then lined with very thin slices of apple. Before popping it in the oven the apples are brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with a bit of sugar. The tart is baked until the apples brown and the pastry is puffed. I liked the tart- I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was very tasty. Derrick, on the other hand, ate 3/4 of tart within an hour of it coming out of the oven which is actually a good thing because this is not a keeper- it should be eaten quickly because it goes soggy after a few hours.

Thanks Leslie of Lethally Delicious for a lovely segue into Fall!

2 comments:

Di said...

Never mind making puff pastry--I'm totally impressed that you're keeping up with TWD with two young children and another one on the way! Your tart looks lovely. I missed the butter/sugar variation when I was making mine; I want to try that next time.

Leslie said...

I love how you made your tart an oblong, so everyone gets a nice edge slice. I've also had making puff pastry on my to do list and yet, still haven't done it. I'm glad you got good results with store bought. Thanks for baking with me this week!