10/8/10

FFWD: Gerard's Mustard Tart




I have always, always loved quiche. I know a lot of people think it's the cliche vegetarian entree, but honestly, if it were on a menu along with three or four other vegetarian options, I'd probably still get the quiche! My mom used to make it from time to time when we were little, but because she always made a homemade crust it was mostly on a weekend when she actually had time for measuring, blending butter, and rolling out her standard Better Homes and Gardens pie dough. If only my mom had known back then that she could have made the dough, rolled it out, fitted it in the tart pan, and frozen the whole thing for up to two months! We could have been eating quiche on Tuesdays!

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe was for Gerard's Mustard Tart and I had a feeling I would love it the moment I read the recipe. A flaky, buttery crust topped with a creamy and intensely mustard-y filling, topped with steamed carrots and leeks and a sprig of rosemary makes for an amazing quiche! This is not your standard vegetarian quiche. It is so flavorful that I can't imagine anyone who eats meat would even think about the fact that it doesn't contain ham or bacon. My only suggestion is that if you are only able to find big fat leeks (like me) instead of the supple, thin ones that Dorie recommends, really slice them very thin and only use the center of the base because mine were just a little tough. Of course the quiche was delicious warm but it was seriously good cold too! I cannot wait to make this in the summer with Dorie's alternative directions for using tomatoes in place of the carrots and leeks!

12 comments:

Jayne said...

I've always loved quiche, too! We used to have a sort of clean-out-the-fridge quiche on Friday nights - I'd make it because my mother worked late, but she's the one who taught me. I'd make it a weekly thing here, but my son doesn't like eggy things. Great job on your tart!

Becca Porter said...

I agree about the leeks. The thicker parts of mine were a little tough.

You should try the tomato version!

Anonymous said...

Good looking tart! I wish I'd save some for the next day to try it cold!

Cristine said...

Your tart looks great! Glad you loved it!

Mary said...

Lovely picture...nice work.

Kim said...

Your tart looks beautiful! I'm a long time quiche lover as well and found this tart to be much like a petite and thin version of a quiche, except much prettier.

Di said...

That looks lovely, Emily! I haven't had a chance to make mine yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

mike said...

Quiche.... a great comparison - makes me hungry for one! What a beautiful presentation - perfectly arranged spokes! Nicely done!

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I can't wait to try this tart again but next time with the tomotoes. How yummy does that sound? Oooooh. Your tart turned out perfectly. So pretty!

Beth said...

This tart looks so good. Originally I found the name offputting, but now I can't wait to try it!

Flourchild said...

Great looking tart Im glad you loved it! My family inhaled it!

Corrie said...

oh I just made this tonight for dinner! so delicious and yummy! I actually used thick leeks and sauteed them in a little oil with salt and rosemary. It was so delicious! my husband almost ate half of it! yours looks much fancier than mine but glad you enjoyed it too
corrie;)